Classified Title: Research Assistant
Starting Salary Range: $15.78 – $21.69
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: M-F 8:30 – 5:00 pm
Employee subgroup: Salaried Non-exmt
Location: 04-MD:School of Medicine Campus
Department name: 60005551-Hopkins Institute for Eng in Healthcare
Personnel area: Whiting School of Engineering
We seek a highly motivated research assistant to contribute to neuroscience and neural rehabilitation research in human motor skill.
Specific duties & responsibilities:
The research assistant’s primary role is to assist in projects of human behavioral and neurophysiology studies focusing on the recovery of motor dexterious functions after brain damage. Study population include both healthy people and patients suffer from motor deficit, esp. hand impairments after brain damage, such as stroke, dystonia, and other neurological diseases.
Responsibilities include design and implementation of behavioral and neurophysiology studies on human dexterious movements, programming and using advanced devices for movement kinematics, recruitment and scheduling of healthy and patient participants, administrating neurological and behavioral assessments, assisting data analysis and manuscript preparation.
This position will provide invaluable experience for anyone interested in pursuing graduate study in the fields of medicine, experimental and cognitive psychology, and neuroscience.
Minimum qualifications (mandatory):
- Bachelor’s degree in related field. Some related experience. Additional education may substitute for required experience and additional related experience may substitute for required education, to the extent permitted by the JHU equivalency formula.
- Strong analytical/problem solving skills.
- Technical experience in qualitative data collection and performing statistical analysis. Must have an understanding of techniques and a solid foundation in the underlying science, gained from experience.
- Ability to work independently under minimal supervision. Able to conduct experiments autonomously according to precise instructions. Able to exercise independent judgment to resolve minor problems arising while conducting experiments.
- Ability to multi-task and maintain attention to detail.
- Proficiency in MATLAB, python, and/or other programming languages
- Prior experience in psychology/psychophysics research on human subjects
- Ability of picking up various computer based applications and data analysis tools
Special knowledge, skills, and abilities:
Interpersonal skills needed to interact with patients and healthy research participants. Excellent communication skills to coordinate within and outside the team; Knowledge of programming languages such as Matlab, Python, and ability of picking up various computer based applications and data analysis tools; Ability to function independently with a high degree of self-motivation.
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at firstname.lastname@example.org. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza (“the flu”) season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
Important legal information