Join the Center
Current Postdoc Openings:
Postdoctoral Position at Johns Hopkins University in Healthcare Systems Engineering
Applications are invited for full-time postdoctoral positions joint between Emergency Medicine, Computer Science, and Civil Engineering at Johns Hopkins University under the supervision of Drs. Scott Levin, Jeremiah Hinson, Greg Hager, Sauleh Siddiqui, and Diego Martinez.
Fellows will work at the intersection of engineering and emergency medicine to harness large-scale electronic health record (EHR) data to give care teams real-time and predictive insights for safer, smoother, and more affordable care. Post-doctoral fellows with broad interests in data-science, human-computer interaction, and decision sciences are encouraged to apply.
Fellows will be supported by the Connected Emergency Care (CEC) Patient Safety Learning Lab sponsored by the Agency for Healthcare Research in Quality (AHRQ). The objective of this lab is to reduce health and financial harm for patients receiving emergency department (ED) care with an initial focus on lower respiratory tract infections. The fellows’ primary responsibility will be to develop and test learning and optimization models that advance data-science and are deployed at the point of care for key diagnostic, treatment, and disposition decision-points. The overarching objective will be to deploy decision support that creates a connected (closed-loop) emergency care system toward reducing health and financial harms caused by suboptimal diagnosis and treatment in the ED.
The fellows will work closely with a multidisciplinary team of faculty and Ph.D. students from Johns Hopkins University and the MICA Center for Social Design. Women and Underrepresented Minorities are highly encouraged to apply. This is a year-long postdoc which can potentially be extended up to three years upon satisfactory performance and availability of funding.
- Ph.D. degree in applied or computational mathematics, computer science, engineering, or a closely related field.
- Research experience in data science. Prior experience in medicine or healthcare is favorable.
- Required experience with Python and SQL.
- Prefer some experience with R, C#, C/C++, AWS, Azure
- Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as collaboratively with excellent written and oral communication skills; interdisciplinary research experience is preferred
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Complete applications should be sent to email@example.com and should include the following in a single pdf file:
- Use the subject line “Postdoc Engineering in Healthcare
- A cover letter
- A full curriculum vitae
- Up to two research publications and/or preprints
- The names and contact information for three reference