For intern hosts
We invite Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions (JHMI) departments and industry representatives to partner with us and host a student intern. We are committed to working closely with our intern hosts to meet the objectives of the internship.
Why host an intern?
The benefits of partnering with MCEH to provide internships are many:
- A year-round source of motivated student -workers
- Great way to recruit for and support project work, temporary and/or busy positions
- An opportunity to identify and train potential future employees
- A way to bring new ideas, skills, and points of view to old and new problems
- Well-prepared, short-term assistance to support faculty project work/ employees so they can pursue new projects
What are the expectations for an intern host?
The faculty member or department staff member requesting the intern is responsible for assigning, or will be considered themselves, a direct supervisor of the intern. Additionally, MCEH will assign an in-house mentor to each intern, to help them solve complex engineering challenges, if any are encountered during the internship. The MCEH mentor could be a staff engineer or a faculty member.
MCEH will provide administrative help with interns’ recruitment, hiring and payroll (when applicable) or credit arrangements. The direct supervisor is responsible for creating and following the internship plan, to include:
- Intern orientation
- Project(s) description
- Learning objectives
- Reading materials
- Daily responsibilities and long-term assignments
- Intern off-boarding, including reference letters
The supervisor is also responsible to track the intern’s work time and confirm worked hours by signing the intern’s time sheets, when relevant. Supervisors are expected to provide four-week and end-of-internship evaluations. They will also provide reference letters, if requested by the intern.
How will the position be advertised?
MCEH staff will work together with the entity requesting an intern to create the internship posting, advertise the posting to relevant Hopkins departments, and collect applications. Upon reaching the application deadline, all applications will be forwarded to the internship host, who will select and interview candidates, and make the final decision on the top candidate.
Sample Forms:Sample Internship Posting
How do I become an intern host?
Contact our Program Administrator to discuss the next steps.