MCEH @ StoCastic Summer Internship
Internship Title: Software Engineer – Intern
Reports to: Sr. Software Engineer
The Software Engineer- Intern will apply data mining, processing, and analytics, software development and computer programming skills to StoCastic projects. S/he must have a strong programming skill set which spans data processing, analysis of large data sets, statistical programming and software analysis, design, development and testing. The software engineer-intern will learn and work independently to translate research models and algorithms that use health information gathered from multiple clinical information systems to software tools capable for use in clinical practice. S/he will also be responsible for creating and integrating large databases comprised of health information and applying analytical methods to this data.
Must meet all of the responsibilities required by a Software Engineer with the following additions:
- Must be able to work independently with little supervision but know when to ask for help when needed
- Responsible for making key technical decisions involving the platform and architecture used to create and manage transaction databases and their related interfaces (i.e., software applications)
- Must know the applications and tools best suited for individual projects and how to procure them
- Must be capable of creating and understanding discrete event simulation models at local and large scales.
Duties and responsibilities
- Design, build, and manage large, complex databases from multiple clinical information systems across multiple organizations;
- Design and apply computational models to analyze large datasets of clinical information with various solution designs;
- Develop software applications that inter-operate with clinical information systems to extract required data, process data and apply computational models, and display output in accordance with user input;
- Develop, collaborate in development of, and translate discrete event simulation models;
- Apply systems analysis techniques to gather then translate business requirements into functional/technical specifications and designs;
- Effectively communicate work products verbally and through internal and client presentations
- Create a poster and present the results of the internship at the 2018 Johns Hopkins Research Symposium on Engineering in Healthcare, Nov 19, 2018
*US Green Card holders or citizens ONLY.
Bachelor’s degree in a computer science, engineering, mathematics or related field. Strong rising juniors will be considered. Master’s degree or anticipated Master’s degree preferred.
- 2 years related experience preferred. Additional experience can substitute for some education. Additional education can substitute for experience.
- Experience in working with large datasets and performing data analysis.
- Experience in developing software applications.
- Ability to translate technical nature of an approach to non-technical audiences.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work as a member of an interdisciplinary team.
The successful candidate will have experience using the following software applications and/or programming languages:
Required: Python, SQL (SQL Server Preferred), JAVA, C/C++
Working conditions and physical requirements
- Indoor- shared office environment
- Possible exposure clinical setting (observing workflow)
- Ability to physically operate computer
- May need to lift up to 20 lbs
$12.50 per hour, up to 40 hours per week, flexible schedule
Anticipated Start Date
June 1, 2018
Three months (Jun – Aug, 2018)
*Possibility for extended internship (up to 9 months) and/or permanent employment, if there is interest on both sides.
101 N. Haven Street, Baltimore, MD (near Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center)
Email your resume and one paragraph describing what you are looking to gain from this internship to Vess Vassileva-Clarke: email@example.com. Please include contact information (name, email address and/or telephone #) for your academic adviser or one professional reference.
Use Subject line “MCEH Internship at StoCastic” for your email.
*Applications received on or before May 21, 2018 will be given first consideration.